House of the Dukes of Frías

In the old square we can also see the palace house that belonged to the Dukes of Frías. the old arcades are closed, but you can still see the large arches that supported the building.

In addition to the blind arches, a lintel over the door is preserved with an inscription on the construction that says “this was made / year 92”. the noble coat of arms that adorned the building has disappeared.

According to local tradition, Saint Pedro de Alcántara lived in this house.

Plaza Vieja 4
927 540 004
Arcos ciegos
y restos inscripción

According to local tradition, St. Pedro de Alcántara lived in this house-palace during his comings and goings in Extremadura and while the Convent of San Juan de la Viciosa was being built.

The Duchy of Frías is a Spanish noble title granted by the Catholic Monarchs on March 20, 1492 to Bernardino Fernández de Velasco y Mendoza, III Count of Haro and Constable of Castile, son of Pedro Fernández de Velasco y Manrique de Lara and Mencía de Mendoza.

In 1520 Emperor Charles V distinguished the Dukes of Frias with the dignity of Great of Spain. The Velasco family was one of the most powerful and influential Castilian noble lineages of the late Middle Ages and early modern period. Its stately roots were concentrated in the areas of Soria, Burgos, Palencia, La Rioja, Zamora, Alava and eastern Cantabria.

The Duke of Frías was also Count of Deleytosa between the 18th and 19th centuries when both titles were held by the same person. They separated when the Duke’s firstborn daughter was his eldest daughter, and as the Duchy could not be inherited by a woman, she was left with the County of Deleytosa and the Marquisate passed to her brother.